Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Languages in my trail...


Languages in my trail...

Interesting fact of my ancestral trail, which is little complex.

Father’s ancestral trail - My Dad’s Mom was Kannadiga from Mysore, who settled in Bangalore around 60 Years back. She got married to a Tamilian from Bangalore (Shivajinagar - Mudaliar street), (Mudaliar – who had converted to Christianity after praying to Mother Mary for curing some illness). Is my Dad’s mother tongue, Tamil/Kannada? But he used to speak Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Hindi, Urdu, and of course English. (His dialect was awesome as of that origin, I have admired it. He had certifications in these languages from School)

Mother’s ancestral trail - My Mom’s Mom was Kannadiga from Bangalore, She got married to a Tamilian from Chennai (then Madras)  and got settled in Salem. Is my Mom’s mother tongue, Tamil/Kannada? She knows Tamil and English.

We end up speaking in Tamil at home, and also sometimes in Kannada & English.

Coming to me, I know English, Tamil (only to speak), Kannada (Studied for 14 years*), Hindi (Studied for 7 years*), Telugu (learnt watching movies can converse with little difficulty) and finally Malayalam can understand but can’t speak as the Mallu’s for that I have to stay in Kerala for 5 years (Haven’t got a chance).

*Though studied for so many years, I still struggle in these languages, and not at all good at any of the above languages mentioned. Not even computer languages. J

No comments: